Saturday, February 16, 2008

A poem. (Re-Edited)

Take a deep breath, clear your mind—stay,
A year has passed and today is your birthday:
Pause for a moment, thus… and replay;
You have the right to cause time's delay.

Remind yourself the lessons which past has taught:
Forgive if it has wronged you, but forget it not;
Now look ahead: a new age brings with it a fresh start,
From forgiveness comes learning, and learning is life’s art.

Forgive those words of wisdom that have irked you often;
Forgive those times of folly, when you didn't listen to them;
Forgive those who have hurt your pride,
Either in love, ignorance, or with malicious spite;
Forgive yourself, when with a confident stride,
Have you done something that you later thought unwise.
Forgive me if I have committed any dastardly act,
And for not knowing I did do it—in fact:
We are all fools in our own ways, aren't we?
So, think of this and grant every plea.

Remember those moments which make up your life’s story
Recount them, and let them be no more a blurred memory:

Remember that day when you found a dearest friend,
As you shared a few secrets walking around the road's bend;
Who neither intruded upon your solitude, nor did leave you behind,
For whom you have been a confidant most patient, a judge most kind.

Remember the day when your heart skipped a beat,
As your teacher shared with you the crumbs of life's feast,
As he sang with you, and swayed in the nights breeze,
With whom you loved being and who, in you, found a student to teach.

Remember those hours when you worked for what you believed,
No more seeking the wage of glory for the deed;
And thus, as you found yourself from your worries freed,
Tired and happy you slept; a well earned, peaceful sleep.

And those other secret treasures of your memory,
That is yours and yours alone to keep;
Remember them and tuck them in, in your book of history,
And there let them be, for in the present lies what you seek.

If you find in your gifts an unearned luck,
Or find a few gifts well beyond your own worth,
I hope you find the modesty, truthful to your heart,
To give yourself a share in the credit,
And reserve the others for the major part;
For then, my friend, you would’ve opened
The most beautiful gift, that of love unblemished.

Today is your birthday,
And I hope you find in you the gift
That in all, albeit silently, does lay;
That which every being is entitled to have,
And whose worth never denies him of it;
A gift that forgives all the follies,
And opens the treasure chest of memories….

I hope u grow wiser with every passing day,
And yet remain innocent enough to play;
I hope, and this is all that I can do,
I hope against the hope that this is a poem not worthy of you.

4 comments:

Marlin Jar said...

I certainly like this poem.

I'll ask my doubts over GTalk.

Poornima said...

Very quiet poem, and very sincere.. I wonder what impelled you to write this one..

And, to your friend, I would also like to wish a lot of laughter and once in a while, some solent tears in remembrance

Anonymous said...

I cannot comment on this poem. I can only cry over it. Thank you.

pratyu said...

edited it I see... fine only. though i wonder why.. it felt spotless